So, I go out to the garage on Tuesday around 5:30am and gear-up for my morning commute. The weather outlook for the entire week is looking pretty spectacular with zero chance of rain, cool temps in the AM and warm temps in the afternoon: ideal for my black Harley cruiser, Betty.
Gearing up in mild temps means boots, a leather jacket, gloves and my Shoei modular / full-face helmet. Although, if it’s going to be really warm and sunny I’ll go with my 1/2 helmet and a wind breaker. But today, it was the former with my messenger bag slung over my should containing my laptop, lunch and a small duffle bag with my suit coat and tie wrapped in plastic to prevent it from wrinkling.
I swing a leg over Betty and give her a firm yank on the bars to pull her free from the new Condor wheel chock… and the chock slides back and won’t release the tire. Another pull and it still doesn’t come loose. I give the front wheel a waggle and another firm pull and the wheel tray finally rotates back and releases the tire. Now it’s just a matter of backing the bike out of the garage without bumping into Blue II, which sits behind Betty. Well son-of-a-gun if the mirror doesn’t get hung up on the padded lally-column. Dagnabit; now I needed to get out a crescent wrench to sort that out. With the bike free of the stand, the mirror re-tightened and a clear shot out the garage door I’m good to go! I make the final push out to the driveway and fire-up the engine. It’s at that point I notice the lack of any useful illumination in front of the bike. Dukes! The low-beam filament burned-out.
Talk about a motorcycle trying to tell you, “I really don’t want to go out today.” I finally gave-in to the negative vibes being sent by Betty and put her back in the wheel chock, making a mental note that I’d need to apply some Gorilla tape to the Condor and floor so it would stay-put.
Thankfully, my trusty BMW R1100S was sitting there ready to go and away I went.
On the bright side, the bulb that went bad was a $50 PIAA extra-bright white model that I’d bought back in August of ’11 and I was pretty sure I still had the original Sylvania bulb in my motorcycle parts box. After returning home from work in the early evening I quickly found the original bulb, taped-down the Condor stand so I could pull Betty out of the stand without a fight and then spent a few moments remembered how the headlight came apart so I could change-out the bulb. 30 minutes later, I was back in business.
Wednesday morning went a lot better… Betty came out of the chock with a single tug, didn’t get her mirror hung on the lally-column and didn’t blow any more bulbs on the way to or from work. Dang, she’s a fun bike to ride! Sure am glad I kept her, even though she can sometimes seem to be a bit moody!