As mentioned in yesterday’s blog entry, I discovered one of the Motolight on my ’03 BMW R1100S was dead during my 6am commute into work last Wednesday morning. It became rather obvious when I pulled up behind a truck and saw only one of the two fork-mounted lights was illuminated.
When I arrived home that night I pulled the light apart and found the 50w Satco MR16 bulb had cracked in two and one of the two wires going into the ceramic Bi-Pin MR16 bulb socket had broken loose.
After a few minutes of research I located the replacement Bi-Pin ceramic connector for GU5.3/MR11/MR16 bulbs and the correct Satco S1958 35 watt, narrow spot halogen MR16 bulbs to make the repair. Thanks to a pretty amazing supply chain distribution system powered by the USPS I would — in all likelihood — have the parts in hand by February 2nd or 3rd. The total cost to repair the light was $3.28. Well, make that $5.27 as I went ahead and replaced the right-hand bulb so I’d have two bulbs of the same age, wattage, etc. When I last changed the bulbs several years back I installed the 50w version and have since come to realize that 35W is more than enough.
New ceramic socket soldered to original wire leads (left) and dead socket (right)
All put back together and shining brightly with the OEM 35 watt bulbs, clear lenses and correct aim!